How to Volunteer on the Grant's Team
Why would you want to volunteer for the Avicenna grants team?
Experience with the grants team will:
- Provide you experience with how to organize, write, and polish professional grants
- Familiarize you with leaders of the clinical community in Champaign County and the Midwest
- Acquaint you with the challenges and mechanics of operating a free clinic
- Provide you an opportunity to directly expand medical services to the members of our community most in need
- Offer you a quality volunteer opportunity that can be completed on your own time, in your own home, while still directly benefiting your community in a tangible, measurable way
The Grants Team's responsibilities include:
- Searching online for grant opportunities and adding relevant grants to grants team's database
- Contributing to grant-writing, including proposals, budgets, and supplemental information
- Meeting once a month to update the team and plan future projects
What are we looking for in a volunteer?
We are seeking volunteers who are interested in learning more about the clinic, as a knowledge of the clinic is critical to contributing to the team. We will set up clinic tours and informative sessions in order to acquaint you with Avicenna.
Grant's Team volunteers must possess the ability to respond to emails in a timely and professional manner. Most of our communications will take place via email, so you must be willing and able to communicate clearly via email as to what tasks you are willing to take on, updates on your work, and project deadlines.
Additional skills that are beneficial, but not required include:
- Experience with grant-writing, whether clinical or research-oriented
- Interest in learning more about free clinic operations
- Experience with budgeting
- Desire to be involved with the team for a year or more